Federal Economic Stimulus Package Funding
On February 17, 2009, President Barack Obama signed into law the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act of 2009, (ARRA) which is commonly referred to as the Federal Economic Stimulus Package. In January 2009, Jersey City put together a task force identifying more than 80 shovel-ready projects for which the City would seek federal funding.
In the coming months, the City will also seek further Federal Stimulus monies for Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) and Second Chance Programs.
To date, Jersey City has received notification of funding in the amount of more than $20 million. In addition, on April 2, 2009 the City held a Grant Funding Workshop helping local non-profits apply for monies in the areas of Housing, Development for Women, Youth Development Programs, and Second Chance Programs.
ARRA FUNDS RECEIVED TO DATE BY THE CITY OF JERSEY CITY:
• $4.6 million for Street Resurfacing (Newark and Sip Avenues)
• $2.67 million for Emergency Shelter Grants
• $1.17 million for additional Community Block Development Grants (CBDG) funds
• $1.83 million for Department of Justice – Byrne Assistance Grant
• $7.8 million for the Jersey City Housing Authority to demolish and rehabilitate public housing
• $2.3 million for Energy Efficiency Grants to upgrade municipal buildings and improve traffic
and street lights