Since taking office, Mayor Healy and his administration have been advocates for reducing crime and making the streets safer, improving the quality of life, and bringing more jobs and ratables to reduce the property tax burden on the Jersey City community. Some of his initiatives and achievements include:
- Initiated a massive Capital Improvements Program with an emphasis on pothole and street resurfacing throughout Jersey City
- Employed a hotel tax that will be an annual revenue stream for the City
- Hired more than 200 police officers since taking office, and established a Gang Unit under the Streets Crime Unit
- Reduced violent crime in 2006 by 23%
- Actively advocates getting illegal guns off city streets, and is a member of Mayors Against Illegal Guns Coalition started by Mayor Michael Bloomberg
- Launched Operation Lifesaver, a gun buy back & amnesty program, which removed 897 weapons from the streets of Jersey City
- As a member of the New Jersey Conference of Mayors' Gang Prevention and Youth Violence Task Force, has put a bill before the state legislature to combat gun offenses and toughen the penalties for those caught with illegal possession of hand guns
- Enforced the Jersey City Business Curfew Ordinance to eliminate increased violence and robberies at all-night establishments
- Re-established the Mayor's "Quality of Life" Task Force, committed to protecting the public's health, safety and welfare, which has been instrumental in extracting over $320,000 in fines from slumlords
- Advocated for jobs and ratables for Jersey City residents by lobbying for the development of the AMB Warehouse Project on Truck Routes 1&9 that will bring over 350 jobs and over $1 million annually in tax revenue, and spur development on the City’s west side.
Mayor Healy is proud to lead and serve one of the most diverse cities in the nation, and is committed to Jersey City’s continued growth and development as the "economic engine" of the state. By establishing the Jerramiah T. Healy Charitable Foundation Inc., the Mayor and Mrs. Healy hope to ease the financial burdens of those residents of limited financial means to help them create a better and brighter future for themselves and their families.